Pet Portraits - Start with a Solid Reference Photo
I've been fortunate to have pet-friends of many kinds in my life, and I get tremendous satisfaction in creating pet portraits. Hearing from clients about the tear-in-the-eye reaction to a surprise gift like this is one of the greatest rewards an artist can receive.
I start the process by obtaining high resolution reference photos supplied by email. The best paintings start with the best images. I review supplied images and discuss with my client how well they address five key areas:
1. Expression: Does your pet have an expression that is meaningful to you? Are the eyes bright? Does it truly display your best friend's personality? Does looking at it evoke the feeling that "this says it all" when describing him/her to others?
2. Angle: It is best to supply a variety of angles. I generally recommend those that are not "straight on" but taken somewhat from the side so we can see the nose and shape of head.
3. Lighting: Flash distorts lighting and destroys eye details. Please do not use flash photography. A natural environment is preferred. Is the animal lit well enough that hair texture is visible? Is there good separation between lights and darks? Images with contrast are far more interesting than flat lighting with minimal/no dimension. And if you're outside, early mornings or late afternoons can provide the best lighting opportunities...not overhead, midday sun.
4. Focus: This point is critical. Is the animal in crisp focus? I paint from an enlargement of the file supplied. If the focus is soft --- or file resolution too small --- it will only get softer when enlarged. A photo where the pet is a tiny object in front of a house or barn won't enlarge adequately. I may not be able to discern important details that I need to create a memorable painting. If it's a photo you're not already happy with, it probably won't help me either.
5. Definition: Make sure the animal, particularly the head and eyes, are in full view, in entirety, and not cut off or obstructed by another object. Clearly defining the subject is foundational. I cannot always isolate an animal from a group shot, or when somebody is holding the pet with half its body behind their arm... since details are typically obscured, and shadows will be introduced from adjacent objects. It's critical to see whatever portion of the pet you want to focus on, or I have to take some liberty based on my experience.
It's quite challenging, but equally rewarding. By the time I complete a portrait, after studying details for weeks and often getting the backstory on the pet and the owner's relationship with that pet, I can't help but feel like I know him/her almost as well as my fur baby.

