Blog


In Tune With Nature

As the season shifts and the air turns crisper, I find myself watching the skies. The rhythms of nature feel especially vivid this time of year—leaves turning, light changing, and the quiet migration of birds overhead. These transitions remind me how deeply the natural world shapes not only what I see, but how I paint.

 

 

 

For me, painting nature has always been instinctive—almost second nature. I don’t need to look far for inspiration; it’s in the subtle movement of wings, the soft rustle of branches, and the reflection of a late-afternoon sky on still water. Whether I’m working on a bird perched in quiet balance, a landscape filled with color, or an abstract echo of those forms, I’m always reaching for the sense of calm and wonder that nature offers so freely.

 

 

I grew up surrounded by fields, trees, and animals, where observing the natural world was as ordinary as breathing. That early connection continues to guide me—both in what I choose to paint and in how I approach each canvas. Sometimes I begin with a memory or a photograph, but what matters most is the feeling: peaceful, grounded, alive.

 

Lately, my studio has been filled with pieces that reflect that connection. Some are small glimpses—a single bird or a fleeting shadow. Others are expansive landscapes where light and texture create a kind of visual rhythm. Together, they tell a story of how nature endures and how it keeps drawing us back to ourselves.

 

 

As fall unfolds and migration continues, I’m reminded that change is part of every creative season. The cycle of movement and return—both in nature and in art—keeps me inspired and grateful for the quiet moments that spark new ideas.

 

 

I’ll be sharing more nature-inspired work in the coming weeks, including both new pieces and several that have already found homes. Each reflects what I love most about this time of year—the beauty of transition, the promise of renewal, and the endless invitation to look more closely.

 

— Kathy Weiss, Charlotte, NC artist painting landscapes, birds, and the beauty of the natural world.

Read Full Post


Why I Create Art: A Reflection on Nature, Connection, and Creativity

There’s a quiet, persistent pull within me—a need to create. It’s not just a pastime or profession; it feels more like a purpose. Art has always been my way of understanding the world, of slowing down and making space for reflection. At its core, my work is about connecting—to myself, to others, and to the natural world that has shaped so much of who I am.

 

When I step into the studio, I carry with me the memory of sun-dappled trails, the rustle of leaves beneath my feet, and the bright chorus of birds in the trees. I think of the scent of wild thyme, the earthy coolness of clay paths, and the warmth of afternoon light catching the edges of stone and branch. These sensory moments live on in me, and they emerge in the colors I choose—greens, blues, reds, purples, and pinks—layered into compositions that feel both grounded and ethereal.

Using tools that encourage organic shapes and spontaneous marks, I layer paint and scrape it back, allowing surprises to emerge. Much like taking a turn on a wooded path and finding a new vista, the creative process invites discovery. The textures and layers mirror the way nature reveals itself slowly, generously, if we’re willing to look.

My hope is that each piece offers a pause—a breath in the middle of our often too-busy days. I want to bring nature indoors, to create a moment where the viewer is invited to stop, reflect, and reconnect. Maybe they’ll remember a quiet walk, the sound of birdsong, or the feel of sunlight filtering through leaves. Maybe they’ll simply enjoy a moment of stillness.

For me, that’s the gift of art: the ability to hold space for beauty, for connection, and for the joy that comes when we slow down enough to truly see.

 

Read Full Post


The Art of Mornings: How 5 AM Fuels My Creativity

There’s something magical about the early morning hours. The world is quiet, the air feels fresh, and before the demands of the day take over, there’s a moment just for me. That’s why I wake up at 5 AM—it’s my time to reset, refocus, and most importantly, create.

 

My morning ritual starts with coffee in hand, a short exercise session to wake up my body, and a bit of meditation to clear my mind. Then, I plan my day—not just the tasks ahead, but the creative possibilities waiting in the studio.

 

This is also the best time to sketch. With a simple pencil and sketchbook, I explore new compositions, letting ideas flow freely without overthinking. Some of these sketches will turn into full paintings, while others remain as studies, capturing fleeting inspiration. Alongside sketching, I experiment with unique color combinations using my favorite oil pastels. There’s something about blending rich pigments in the soft morning light that sparks new ideas for future works.

These quiet moments fuel my creativity for the rest of the day. They remind me that art isn’t just about the finished piece—it’s about the process, the exploration, and the joy of discovery.

 

Do you have a time of day that feels most creative for you? I'd love to hear how you make space for your own artistic moments.

 

Read Full Post


My Journey as an Artist: 10 Years of Growth and Discovery

Over the past decade, my journey as an artist has been nothing short of transformative. What began as a personal exploration of creativity has evolved into a deeply fulfilling career, filled with challenges, triumphs, and countless lessons learned. Reflecting on these years, I see a path marked by growth, self-discovery, and a deepening connection with my craft and audience.

The Early Years: Finding My Voice

When I first began painting, I was drawn to the beauty of the world around me. Landscapes, still lifes, and animals became my subjects as I honed my technical skills and explored different mediums like oil, watercolor, and acrylic. Each piece was a stepping stone, teaching me about composition, color theory, and the endless possibilities of artistic expression.

But as I grew more confident in my abilities, I realized that I was searching for something deeper. I wanted my art to go beyond representation—to evoke emotion and invite viewers into a shared experience. This realization marked a turning point, steering me toward abstraction and intuitive expression, while still maintaining a love for precise still lifes and interesting landscapes that incorporate impasto techniques and unexpected color palettes.

Embracing Abstract and Abstract Landscapes

The shift to abstract and abstract landscape painting felt both liberating and daunting. It required me to let go of rigid expectations and trust my instincts. Layers of paint, spontaneous brushstrokes, and vibrant colors became my language. I discovered that abstraction allowed me to convey not just what I saw, but what I felt—a freedom that resonated with both me and my collectors.

At the same time, my passion for precise still lifes and expressive landscapes remained a vital part of my practice. These works, often characterized by bold impasto textures and surprising color combinations, continue to challenge and inspire me. They allow me to balance the spontaneity of abstraction with the discipline of detailed observation.

Challenges Along the Way

No journey is without obstacles, and mine was no exception. Creative blocks, self-doubt, and the pressure to "make it" as an artist often tested my resolve. Yet, these challenges became opportunities for growth. I learned to embrace the periods of stagnation, using them as moments to recharge and experiment. Over time, I realized that persistence and consistency were key—showing up in the studio, even on difficult days, was half the battle.

Lessons Learned

One of the most valuable lessons I’ve learned is the importance of authenticity. When I paint from a place of honesty and passion, the work resonates more deeply with others. Another lesson is the power of community. Engaging with fellow artists, participating in local shows, and sharing my journey through blogging and social media have not only expanded my reach but also enriched my perspective.

Finally, I’ve come to understand that art is as much about the process as it is about the outcome. Every painting, whether a masterpiece or a misstep, contributes to the narrative of who I am as an artist.

Looking Ahead

As I enter this new phase of my career, my focus is on creating a cohesive body of work that reflects my unique voice. I’m excited to continue exploring abstract landscapes and intuitive abstracts, while still occasionally revisiting the still lifes and expressive landscapes that sparked my initial love for painting. My goal is to connect with collectors who value original art and to keep pushing the boundaries of what’s possible on canvas.

Thank you for joining me on this journey. Whether you’ve been following my work for years or are just discovering it, your support means the world to me. Here’s to another decade of growth, creativity, and discovery!

Read Full Post